Sunday, August 7, 2016

How Long do Guinea Pig Suprelorin Implants Last?

Hi there, readers! It's Buffy here. I wanted to let you all know that I haven't quite been feeling like myself lately. The humans thought I seemed a little more lethargic, my weight has been a little down, and my appetite for Critical Care isn't what it once was. In addition, the humans started seeing blood in my urine. It was clearly time for another vet visit, much as I'd rather just hang around in my cage. (Cars are scary, you know!)

Do I really have to go to the vet? I mean, is blood in your urine really that big of a deal? Hmm... Saying that out loud made me realize how that sounds. I guess you better take me.
The vet said that the blood is most likely either a symptom of a UTI, or related to the uterine mass they found. Based on the color of the blood, the vet said it was more likely related to the uterine mass, but put me on an antibiotic just in case it was a UTI.

They also said that the implants only last 4-12 months, and I had mine back in November. So I got another Suprelorin implant to replace the old one. As you may recall, things were looking pretty grim back in November when I got my first Suprelorin implant, and I started to do much better afterwards. Hopefully, the same thing will happen again this time. The vet set it could take up to a month to really start seeing results if the old implant is completely out.

It's been a few days since they put the new implant in, but I'm feeling better already. I've been finishing my Critical Care for the first time in a week, I'm off to a good start!

4 comments:

  1. We're glad you're feeling better! Maybe you can finagle a few extra goodies from the humans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pleased that you are feeling better Buffy! Sometimes it is good to go to see the vet.

    ReplyDelete