Thursday, March 31, 2016

Introducing Lola (#2)

Well, hello there, humans! I'm Lola. I know this must be confusing for you since one of the founders of this blog was also named Lola. I'm a different Lola.

I'm two years old, and I belonged to a wonderful family where I was cared for especially by Sophia, a 10-year-old girl who likes soccer and was the best guinea pig owner around. Sophia took amazing care of me, held and pet me, and gave me all the treats and attention I deserve. But when Sophia and her family got a new puppy, she realized that the puppy was going to need a lot of attention and training, and that living in a house with a dog would be hard for me to adjust to. Sophia and her family made the brave decision to do what was best for me and find me a new home, which was hard both for me and for the family. But while I am sad to leave, I am very excited to live with other guinea pigs for the first time.

The humans are planning on introducing me to their other pigs Buffy and Broccoli eventually, but it's important that I first go through a quarantine period. The quarantine period is an important step to take when introducing guinea pigs to each other, because it allows the pigs have a chance to get to know one another through sight and smell. Broccoli seems especially curious about me. It's also very important for ensuring that medical problems aren't spread.

Hi over there! Can't wait to meet you!
The other thing the humans did was to get me a checkup at the vet. I hadn't been to a vet before so I wasn't sure what it entailed and was calm during the car ride, but I quickly learned that going to the vet is not fun! They poke you and look really close at you, and shine lights in your face to make sure you're healthy.

The vets said that I am in great health, but that I should start taking some vitamin C, and they recommended some shots before I am introduced to the other pigs as a preventative measure. I had a small lump on my back, but the vet said it was just a clogged oil gland, similar to a pimple, and that the vitamin C would help with that.

Here's me at the vet getting an exam.
The vet shines a light in my ears and nose to make sure I'm healthy.
I am so excited to share my piggie adventures with you! You'll be hearing more from me soon.

6 comments:

  1. Welcome Lola#2! We all look forward to getting to know you ( and we have a Lola in our herd too.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the warm welcome! Lolas are the best :)

      Delete
  2. Welcome, Lola the Second!! We're looking forward to reading about your adventures! (Um, my little brother Sebastian wants me to tell you he thinks you're very pretty. Okay, what he actually said was "Hubba hubba!!!" but that is uncouth.)

    -- Oliver (and Sebastian!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't wait to share my adventures with you. And thanks, Sebastian! You really know how to make a piggie feel welcome :)

      Delete
  3. Hello, Lola! We think you're cute. (And despite our girl names, it turns out we are actually boys. So, hello there!) How much do you weigh? You look small like Eowyn, who is about 1 pound, 4-6 ounces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am rather cute, now that you mention it. :-)

      I was 1,170 grams at my last weigh-in.

      Delete