Saturday, March 19, 2011

Introducing Buffy

Ahhhh, humans! Run!

Okay now that I'm in my pigloo, we can talk. Hi, I'm Buffy. Don't come any closer! I'm the second pig in the habitat and I'm a breed of guinea pig called a texel. I have curly fur that never stops growing. I need to have regular baths with very mild soap and warm water about once a month to keep my fur clean. I hate it when humans brush me, though it's necessary to keep my hair from getting matted. I guess I'm sort of high maintenance.

Because my fur is all curly and because Lola's the dominant pig, she has a bad habit of biting and pulling on it. I hate that! I also hate being handled by humans. Curly fur feels different when pet than straight hair. When the human hold Lola, she seems to enjoy being pet. But not me! I make an angry sound to let them know to quit it. It's a low growl that sounds like I'm saying "Brrrrrrr". If the humans still don't get the hint, I may bite them gently on the hand to let them know to stop. And if they still don't get it, I bite them harder.

Not all guinea pigs enjoy being held, you know. It's not you, it's us. When I feel something touching my fur, it's usually Lola picking on me. So don't be surprised that I'm hesitant when humans approach my cage to pick me up.

When the humans open the cage door, I'm never the first to venture out into the big, scary world. I just follow Lola around- she seems to know what she's doing.

Shhhh! Did you hear that? Oh, it's just the sound of a window being opened. That was close. I generally run away and hide in one of the pigloos just in case it's a predator. You never can be too careful.

I enjoy fresh vegetables, vitamin C, and hiding out from Lola by sitting on top of the pigloos. She can't reach me as easily up there. But Lola tries to outsmart me by flipping the pigloos over so I have nowhere to hide from her. Yeah, she's really mean to me. Luckily, I can always hide out in the Tiki Hut since it's too heavy for Lola to flip over.

4 comments:

  1. Awwww, poor you Buffy, you are such a cutie! I love texels, Buffy, I thought the low growly was purring... or is purring another type of thing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i thought it was enjoyment poor little buffy

    ReplyDelete
  3. my piggy vibrates when I hold him . . . i think that is like purring, which is good, so I keep petting him!

    ReplyDelete