Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Can Guinea Pigs Eat Carrots?

We guinea pigs LOVE carrots! Carrots are our absolute favorite food ever. We know when you're in the kitchen cutting them up and can smell them from the other room. If we even suspect that you're cutting up carrots, we will wheek uncontrollably until you give us some. If you want to reward us or give us a treat, there is no better choice.

Something smells good in the other room...
Is that what I think it is? It is! Carrots!
MORE CARROTS!
Hey, don't get too comfortable at that food dish, Buffy. I'm reclaiming it as soon as I finish this piece.

Carrots are our favorite! 5/5 stars!


Please keep in mind that even though carrots are our favorite food, you need to make sure you don't give your piggy too much. That goes for all fruits and vegetables. We love carrots too much to stop eating them on our own, so we rely on you to give a reasonable amount. We've been given a pretty generous amount in these picture, which means we didn't get carrots again for a few days. But as long as you don't overdo it, carrots are a great treat!

14 comments:

  1. Love this blog! My pigs' favorite food is carrots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oliver and Reese get a couple baby carrots each morning... they wheck as soon as I go to the kitchen to make my coffee... sometimes before as soon as they hear me up!

    How big is your cage? We built a C&C cage, but it is a bit difficult to clean...I see your's is topless but with the regular cage bottom.... you can either comment on my blog or email me at martha.kasper@gmail.com if you have the time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oliver and Reese sound like lucky piggies! We like wheeking in the morning as well. We can't risk the humans forgetting to feed us before they go to work, after all!

    Glad to see you found the answer to your question on the other post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i chuck in whole carrots, in fact i ran out of fresh grass for 3 days and they have only had carrots, apples, cauliflower stalks, and muesli for 2 3 days... it feels like i am malnourishing them because they like grass so much, they eat 24 7 if i give them 10 kilos of grass, they on stop to put their feet up and sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  5. weird I tried giving princess booboo carrots and she rejected them please help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We guinea pigs won't agree on everything. There are some foods that the three of us can't agree on. Just try feeding Princess Booboo some of the other foods features on our blog.

      Delete
  6. thanks you're the best

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome!! My piggies Mary Ann and Bink Bink loves carrots!! Especially apple slices!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My piggy loves carrots she eats one baby carrot every day is that ok

    ReplyDelete
  9. Peeta and Sweetums will start wheeking two rooms away if they so much as hear a bag crinkle. Love the blog, I watched three videos just to listen to the cute little chewing noises. I am such a geek. Your humans are way lucky, you three are so adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am confused. .. my vet told me I should limit his pellets and hay and feed him mostly veggies... Now I think he has a uti...Could the carrots be the cause? ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can feed guinea pigs 1 medium baby carrot almost daily. You don't want to feed more than this because of the sugars in carrots, which can cause diabetes in high amounts. We're not aware of any connection to UTIs, however. According to Guinea Lynx, guinea pigs' "short legs put them low to the ground where they are more likely to pick up bacteria from wet bedding and droppings." Make sure you keep the cage clean, especially where we sleep, and keep the fur on our backsides trimmed to help prevent future UTIs.

      Delete